Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Number Fishing

Number fishing is my new favorite game to play with the kids! It's easy to set up and makes learning colors, numbers and counting a blast with the little ones!




First, cut out the fish template. I don't recommend cutting each corner, rather cut around the fish for more durability.


This is the perfect size fish to start out with!


I traced the fish onto several different colored pieces of construction paper.





Second, In black marker, label each fish with a number.

I started out with 1-20, but if your child is past that, then by all means start with the numbers they need to learn next.


On the fish numbered 1-10, I added small stickers to the back of the fish for the little ones who haven't mastered numbered recognition. By counting the stickers on the back, they learn to recognize the corresponding number.


Third, add a basic paper clip to the mouth. This is how the children will catch their fish.


Fourth, find a dowel or old blind handle, tie yarn to one end and attach 2 magnets. I used hot glue to assure my magnets stay together and keep the yarn in place.


Fifth, find a nice size bowl or bucket, drop your fish in and let the fun begin!


As children catch the fish, ask them,


"What color is your fish?"


"What number is on your fish?"


"Can you count the stickers on the back of the fish?"










No comments: