Monday, April 21, 2008

Alphabet Matching with a Twist!

Here's a fun and easy way to help children learn and recognize the letters of the alphabet!

To complete this project you'll need a bag of wooden clothespins, a permanent marker and flashcards.

To begin I wrote a capital and lower case letter on each clothespin.

I placed the clothespins in a bowl,

and scattered the alphabet letters on the floor.

After each child pulled a clothespin from the bowl, they were asked to identify the letter and match it to the corresponding alphabet flashcard.

For the letters they didn't recognize, I gave hints such as,

"A is for Apple".

When the kids matched the flashcards to the pin, they attached the card and brought it to me.

Once they knew they had the correct match, they attached the card to the window curtains.

With a little help from me, the children mastered attaching the flashcards to the clothespin and then attaching it to the curtains.

At the end of the game the children had a good laugh at my "new" curtains.

They were all more than willing to help remove the letters so they could play again and again!

No comments: