Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Alphabet Books

Trying to teach a preschooler who has no interest in learning his or her ABC's can be a bit frustrating, however finding fun and inventive ways to do it can make the time seem more like play time instead of quiet classroom time.

I've used the alphabet books from First-School since I started my preschool program in September. Not only do they have plenty of free worksheets you can print, but these great alphabet books.

First, I print off each page of the book. On Tuesdays I present the book to the children during our preschool time. Each child is instructed as to how to write the letter, and given instructions to color each picture listed. We review each word as they begin to color.
As the children color their pictures, I begin to cut out the pages of the book. As a class, we put the pictures in front of ourselves and call out the first picture.




For example, I say, "Umpire. Umpire begins with?"

The class states, "U. Umpire starts with U."

Once the books are complete, I staple the edge and present each child with their book.
The parents have raved about how much their children love showing off their weekly books.
To print free letter books, visit: http://www.first-school.ws/theme/alphabetp6.htm.

No comments: