Thursday, March 6, 2008

Skills Evaluation Day

It's not the easiest task to perform, but once a month I attempt to sit with each child and complete a skills evaluation chart. This way parents can track their child's progress while they're enrolled in my care.

To complete the evaluation, I pull out my flashcards and quiz the child. If they get one wrong, I simply state the correct answer and move on. Depending on the child and their skill level, the evaluation can take anywhere from 10-15 minutes.
If they're beyond the point of the basic set of questions, I add my own and mark "yes" or "no".
For example, I'm currently working with a child on the more advanced shapes, such as sphere, cylinder, etc...because those aren't listed on the evaluation sheet, I simply add them.

If you're interested in evaluating your child or considering adding this to your program, I'm sure you will can find a free print out on any given preschool website. Mine was included in a curriculum package I purchased.




No comments: