Monday, March 24, 2008

A Fun Direction Game!

The learning game this week is all about directions.

I got this idea from one of my curriculum books. They suggested hand making bean bags for the children. However, since I'm no where near being a seamstress, I improvised with a stapler, construction paper and some napkins.

First, I chose 3 colorful pages, folded them over and stapled the sides closed.


I then unfolded napkins and began to crumple them up. I stuffed them inside my colorful envelope and stapled it shut.

Before beginning
we reviewed each of the colors being presented.
From oldest to youngest I allowed children to choose their favorite color game bag.

We began the game by mimicking what I did. I would say, "Put the bag above your head" and show them what to do.

As the game went on, I stopped participating and just gave direction. The other children were excellent examples for those children unsure of the instruction.

Other questions asked were:
"Put the game bag behind the rocking chair."
"Put the game bag between your knees."
"Put the game bag under the table."

As we continue this game during the week, I will be adding more colors, and turning the game into a color, number and direction game.

Questions I will add throughout the week will be,

"Put the game back next to your left leg."
"Hold the game bag in your right hand."
"For those of you with a red (or any color) game bag, hold it in front of you."
"Collect all the green game bags, how many do you have?"
I'm sure this will yield lots of fun for us this week!

No comments: