Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Best Xylophone Ever!!!

Why? Because it's quiet. ;)

Our letter this week is Xx and coming up with projects that begin with X can be a bit difficult....but, I found one! And to my surprise, the kids really had fun coloring and assembling their very own Xylophone.

As usual, I assembled mine earlier and placed it in the middle of the table so all could view. I chose to print the template with the colored outline to help the children use the correct colors.





Once the children had all their pieces colored & cut, we loosely placed them in the same order as the example xylophone I had made.




During this time, we discussed largest to smallest and reviewed which colors go where.
Then it was time to glue! Each project that includes gluing is the children's favorite part!
During the assembly, we discussed what a xylophone was, and the letter it started with.




I continued to ask the children, "Xylophone starts with ____, but sounds like it starts with ____."

Lastly, we added the mallets. We discussed what the mallets were used for and what they weren't used for.

Such as, "A mallet is used to tap the bars on the xylophone, not used to tap our brothers or sisters." :D



When finished, I was convinced we had made the best musical instrument ever!

No comments: