Thursday, March 13, 2008

Spring Fever? Make EZ Birdfeeders!

It's been nearly 70 degrees here all week, which is causing all of us to come down with Spring Fever.

This week we decided to make EZ Bird feeders. I call them EZ; because you can make this with the stuff you have lying around the house.

Supplies we used were recycled tp rolls (you could use acorns as well), some spare string, a glob of peanut butter, a disposable knife and some leftover birdseed.

First, I punched two holes in the top of each tp roll. I tied a piece of string to the top. I put a glob of peanut butter on each plate with a disposable knife and away they went, eating and painting the roll with peanut butter.


Next, I filled a spot on each plate with birdseed. The children rolled their peanut butter roll in the seed, being watchful not to miss a spot.






The excess peanut butter and seed can be stuffed into the bottom of the roll and placed in the seed. You may have to help children with this part.
You'll see why I chose to use disposable knives by the looks of this photo! :) I also kept wet toweletts close by!
Once we finished the feeders, we allowed them to dry for 2 hours. When they were finished we took a walk outside and hung them on the trees in front of our front window. The children sat for a good 30 minutes waiting for the birds or squirrels to come by for their snack.

No comments: