Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Yummy! Jellybean Counting Game


While at the supermarket last night I noticed bags of jellybeans on sale. I thought of the fun counting and color games I could play with the kids using jellybeans.

I decided to start on a beginner level with the kids to get them used to the game and to make sure the children still learning to count and recognize numbers would be involved without feeling frustrated.

First I filled clean, recycled yogurt cups with the appropriate number of jellybeans. I sorted them by color and wrote a number along with the coordinating color on an index card.

Children were given a clean, recycled fruit cup to collect their jellybeans.

I started the game by calling out the number and color of their first jellybean. One at a time, the children counted out the number and color of the jellybean I had called out.

We continued this through the number 5, giving each child a total of 15 colored jellybeans.

After each child collected their jellybeans, they were asked to lay them on a napkin and count each one out. When they changed a color, I’d ask them, “What color is that jellybean?” If they didn’t know the answer, the other children were happy to help!

For more advanced preschoolers, you can combine the appropriate number of jellybeans into one dish and ask them to collect different amounts in different colors until the dish is empty.

If you don’t want to use jellybeans, this game can also be played with Lego’s.

No comments: